FLAConnect: Home Access to a Holistic Experience
Traditionally, students and families have accessed Forest Lake Academy’s quality Adventist education through the local community or our dormitory program. Now, we are excited to offer online access to our curriculum and classrooms through FLAConnect.
FLAConnect provides an innovative alternative to commuting, boarding, or even homeschooling.
Through video conferencing, you can remain at home, in your local church and community, while experiencing the same classroom instruction and interactions as on-campus students.
- Follow the same curriculum and complete the same assignments as your classmates.
- Actively participate in classroom discussions.
- Interact and develop real relationships with faculty and peers.
BE PRESENT AND ENGAGED: CONNECT WITH US
Bring the structure of a traditional classroom, a complete Christ-centered education, and an array of relationships to you—wherever you are.
For more information about FLAConnect, including tuition and fees, contact Alison Prusia, FLA recruiter, at 407-461-7482 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The FLAConnect program uses the latest in video conferencing technology, computer-based software, an assortment of apps and other resources, and an online learning portal to provide a first class, rigorous, educational program to students across the United States and the world.
Participants in the FLAConnect program will need:
a strong broadband Internet connection
a computer or dedicated audio-video equipment to communicate with the classroom
an iPad, provided by Forest Lake Academy
HOME TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENTS
Video conferencing requires a very fast Internet connection. We require the following minimum Internet connection speed per CONNECT system:
- Download speed: 10 Mb/s
- Upload speed: 1.5 Mb/s
- Wireless Router/Access point: 802.11n
You can test the speed of your connection at http://www.speedtest.net. If your connection does not meet the minimum requirements, you must contact your Internet Service Provider to upgrade your connection for the length of your class. Inability to connect or remain connected is not an excuse for failing to participate in live classes. The minimum speeds listed above assume the system is the sole bandwidth consumption device on the network for the interim of the class period. Adjustments to these minimums need to be made for other devices on your network.
Video conferencing, with its multiple simultaneous video connections, demands a good deal from your computer. Make sure it meets the following requirements:
- Supported Platforms: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10
- Minimum System Requirements:
- 2.0 GHz or faster Dual Core Processor or 1.6 GHz Core i5/i7
- 2 GB of RAM minimum (4 GB or more recommended)
- HD Capable Video Card
- Supported Platforms: 10.6+ (Snow Leopard or higher, PowerPC processors are not supported)
MOBILE DEVICE USERS (not recommended)
- Android 5+
- iOS 9+ *
- Chromebook (1.8 GHz+ processor and 2 GB of RAM or better)
* The iPad provided by Forest Lake Academy cannot be used for video conferencing unless instructed to do so for temporary for troubleshooting reasons.
You must have software* that allows for the following, on your device:
- Word Processing (Microsoft Office 2013 and above recommended)
- Video Playback (VLC recommended – http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html)
- PDF viewing (Adobe Acrobat Reader recommended – https://get.adobe.com/reader/)
- Google Chrome browser (https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/)
* Additional software may be required depending on your class and teachers.
HD webcam is required (720p-1080p). Most newer laptops have a built-in webcam that meets these requirements. If you don’t have a built-in webcam, please purchase a USB HD-capable webcam.
The built-in speakers and microphone on your computer will cause echo problems for you and your classmates during class. We therefore require the use of a headset (headphones with a microphone) for the best audio quality.
Please note that Apple Earphone and Mic (the item that comes standard with an iPhone) are not acceptable for video conferencing. Your teacher will not allow you to participate in class without the proper required headset.
You will need access to a printer and flat-bed scanner to submit certain assignments.
If you have any questions please contact the FLA IT department at 407-772-3728 and ask for Ryan Glass.