Global Backgrounds, Common Goals: Welcoming International Students
Seventh-day Adventists are a worldwide family of Christian believers. While our countries of origin, cultures and languages span the globe, our faith is our common ground.
In this spirit, Forest Lake Academy (FLA) welcomes qualified international students from around the world to join our Home Stay/dorm boarding program. Our unique, holistic and immersive program creates a community where international and American students experience intellectual, social and spiritual growth together.
Tuition and Fees
We aim to ensure a Forest Lake Academy education is within reach for all those who qualify to enroll. To learn more about the costs associated with attending FLA, visit our Tuition and Fees page.
Forest Lake welcomes students who are:
- Respectful of FLA’s Christian values
- Emotionally and socially mature
- Academically motivated and successful
- Willing to participate in extracurricular activities
Ready to Join the FLA Family?
Follow FLA’s 5-step admissions and enrollment process for international students.
(Download the International Student Guide for full details.)
Complete the online questionnaire and application.
Have your birth certificate (in English), school transcript(s), test scores, two recommendations, and a current photo ready to upload. You must provide a current photo; the student will not be accepted without it. There is a $75 application fee and an additional $125 international fee. You will hear from the Registrar regarding acceptance status.
Secure a home stay/host family.
It is necessary for any dorm student to have a Home Stay family in the Florida area for home leaves (once a month), vacation breaks, Thanksgiving (one week), Christmas break (two weeks), Spring break (one week), emergencies, illness, etc. This family must be able to take the student for any such events listed above.
The Home Stay family will also be responsible for transportation from airport, bus or train stations if the student does not provide FLA his or her traveling plans on a timely basis. The Home Stay family must be verified by the school before FLA can send the I-20 form.
There are two agencies that FLA recommends that can help you with the Home Stay family process:
- American Academic Placement
Floyd Fincher – Director
- NorthShore Exchange Organization
Audrey Chu (Chinese / 中文)
Joann Seralde (English)
You may use any agency you choose. These are recommendations; however, whichever agency your use must send verification of the Home Stay to FLA before the school can release the I-20 form.
Complete a financial contract and submit full tuition for the academic year.
Fifth Third Bank
Swift Code: FTBCUS3C
Beneficiary account number: 7441901449
Beneficiary name: Forest Lake Academy
500 Education Loop, Apopka, FL 32703Phone: 407-862- 8411
254 FL-436, Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
Phone: 407-869- 6607
The I-20 and F- 1 Visa will be mailed after the payment has been received.
Submit Academic Transcript
In order to ensure the most appropriate grade level and course selection for your student, you will be required to submit an official evaluation of your student’s academic transcripts. This process can be done through one of the professional agencies listed below. Please keep in mind that there is a processing fee involved that you will be responsible for. Upon completion of this step, we look forward to proceeding with the admissions steps on behalf of your student.
Joseph Silny & Associates, International Educational Consultants
World Education Service (WES)
FLA PROVIDES FOUR PILLARS OF SUPPORT FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Excellent academics and extracurricular activities
A caring host family or positive dorm experience
A supportive student mentoring program
Special services through the international department
Our program is designed to ensure student success at both the high school and university levels.
- At FLA, international students attend classes with their American peers in an immersive English environment. We offer an ELL academic enrichment program for students who desire a stronger foundation in the English language.
- In addition to a rigorous high school curriculum, FLA offers a number of honors-level and dual enrollment classes in conjunction with Adventist Health Sciences University.
- Almost all of our international students desire university admission. We provide each student with support throughout the college application process. Graduates of FLA’s international program have gone on to attend universities all over the United States.
Our program is also designed to ensure international students feel supported, enriched and at home during their time with us.
- Through shared experiences and activities, students living in our dorm enjoy enhanced personal and social growth at an important time in their lives.
- A variety of clubs and student organizations are available to keep students engaged and connected to peers outside of the classroom.
- Monthly meetings with members of our international department provide students with a regular source of guidance and support.
- Home Stay or host families provide another link to local culture and community, and will care for students during home leaves (once a month), vacation breaks, emergencies and illnesses.